HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:19:32 -0400
Taft Kiser wrote:

> To Sharon Melendez:
> Re: color chart for glass
>
> As you probably know, the Munsell color chart we use is an abbreviation
> of a larger chart that theoretically, covers everything. ...SNIPS HAPPEN

> ...However, with glass you've got a fairly homogeneous metal so it might
> work. But I would save the job for people you'd like to get rid of.

 Sharon, you might also consider using pantone colors. You can buy the
pantone charts from most art supply stores and many computer graphic-arts
programs have them. I suppose you could even use them on your screen by
holding pieces up next to your monitor (but over a piece of opaque white
paper).

My question is about the layer of glass itself. What is it? I have
encountered thick layers of glass in two contexts...both from the 18th c.
One was a layer laid under the floor of one room in the cellar of a
plantation house. My guess is that the room was used for food storage and
that the glass was a way of deterring infiltration by mice. The other case
was the use of large amounts of both bottle glass and broken pottery to
"crock" the bottom of kitchen-garden beds at the same plantation. here the
cockery and glass layer would not only deter rodents, but would provide
drainage and root aeration. Do you know why your layer of glass was there?

--
Dan Mouer
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology