HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:17:21 -0700
I possess an antique piece with glass flaked in the same fashion.  It
includes a smooth bezel setting (different than the prongs I think I see on
yours) that shows off the scalloping effect.  It belonged to my grandmother
who told me it belonged to her grandmother.  It was part of a dresser set -
the tray - and she used it to show off her silver backed brush, comb, etc.
Hers measures approximately 10 inches long and is in the shape of a very fat
C.  To me, yours looks Art Deco.  She owned another tray (rectangular) with
a mirror bottom (in a wooden frame I cannot see the edges of) on which she
displayed her cut crystal perfume bottles.  It has lines etched through the
silvered backing that gives a black bordered effect, actually appearing
rather similar to that on your piece.  It is about 12 inches long.