HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harding Polk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 18:43:04 -0400
One very late last comment on this turn of phase.  I just finished reading through the July/August edition of Preservation magazine (the National Trust's mag) and I ran across the usage twice.  In one article on Fort Snelling (p17) they talk about buildings in the Upper Post and refer to them as, "constructed at the turn of the last century".  Then on p.29 in an article titled Reinventing Buffalo, they say "At the turn of the 19th century, Buffalo was one of the country's busiest inland ports, ..." meaning transitioning from 1800s to 1900s.  Hmmm.  I think I'll have to write the editor.

Harding Polk II