HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:33:04 -0800
I just re-read a piece I wrote about nails forty-two years ago, an essay
which, so far as I know, represents the first time a serious discussion of
machine-manufactured nails appeared in an archaeological report.  And if I
don't say so myself, while acknowledging all the good work and intense study
that has been done since, it withstands the test of time.  It is the section
"Square Cut Nails" that appears in "Johnny Ward's Ranch,"  The Kiva, Vol.
28, nos. 1-2, October-December, 1962, pp. 44-66 (Tucson: Arizona
Archaeological and Historical Society).  It provides an entertaining history
of nail making and a pretty good bibliography.
    Bernard Fontana