HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 21:57:12 +0100
Many thanks to those who have replied on and off list to my request for
info. on databases.

To summarise, excluding what is probably the most sensible, but
currently beyond my pocket suggestion ("get a mac"), it boils down to
FilePro and Paradox.

Paradox I can get on educational licence for 89GBP, FilePro I'm still
investigating.

On the point of moving information: this is what I've done with my
Locofile bibliography: I have written an output programme which knows
(forgive my anthropmorphism!) that titles are in italics, and so on, and
outputs them with the appropriate HTML code - it 'knows' that if
something is in a journal, the title needs quotation marks and the
journal needs italics.  This is, of course, a Locoscript document, but
once saved as ascii, it becomes an HTML document.

Best wishes to all

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)