HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:57:50 -0400
I am not sure if I raised this issue with HISTARCH, but recently I arranged
for a scholar to deliver a lecture concerning Native American mortuary
textiles. Someone has demanded I obtain Hopi approval because "NAGPRA"
requires Native American approval. I feel NAGPRA does not restrict the rights
of scholars to freely discuss topics concerning religious or ritual objects,
as the U.S. Constitution protects free speech rights and that document
overrides laws like NAGPRA. This issue comes to a head this coming Tuesday
night. Does anyone out there have an opiniion on this matter?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.