HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steve Boxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:17:41 -0700
John P. Staeck wrote:

> Bottom line, if you want to treasure hunt do it in archaeology - record the
> information and do a good job so that we can all profit in the experience.
> We can debate the disposition of material remains another time, but at
> least record the info no matter what any court decides - no?

Yes, yes, yes.  It is, after all, what you find out, not what you find.
An interesting artifact, once removed from it's context, becomes
worthless as a source of information.  Let them keep the cool stuff if
they want, just let it be archaeologically excavated and documented.  I
personally don't care to have public monies spent on a well documented
19th century wreck, but if the "treasure hunters" want the stuff, have
them pay to have it done right.

Steve Boxley, MN.
The Virginia Foundation for Archaeological Research