HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:05:32 -0700
Sure I did plenty of Temp work (for 10 yrs)...contract to contract...for
various CRM companies in San Diego County....before I got a full-time
position where I have been for 15+ yrs.  I think all or almost all CRM
firms (not state or federal) here in S. CA (there are about 12-15) have
full (perhaps not dental/vision) benefits and pension for their full-time
archies.  We do hire the temporary, part-timers as crew...and no...they
dont get benefits...but it is either 1) their choice to work as such....or
2) there just arent full-time positions available (so you go/move some
where else).

I know in reality it isnt always this 'easy'...but since I could make a dollar
s-t-r-e-t-c-h...I wasnt too concerned/stressed when I did contract work as
a part-timer.  In fact...I became very stressed when I had to work ALL year
long...with only 2 wks off.  I still dont like working all yr.  I enjoyed
the time off when it rained...or 2 wk break between projects, but those
days are long gone now.  But I know...I'm weird (and most people dont even
know How to skrimp to get by these days; they all have cell phones, etc.
and whine about money; gee I wonder why?).

I guess I was lucky I didnt have any health problems, etc. while I was
without benefits those 10 yrs.  Benefits were foreign to me when I became
full-time.  I hardly take advantage of them even now; my HMO is making a
fortune off of me.

Not all companies offer 401Ks tho...but personally, I have always been good
about Saving my money.