HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Norma Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:26:02 EST
Ray Crook at the State University of West Georgia just reported on an ongoing
project to relocate Gullah settlements that were abandoned in the late 1950s
on Sapelo Island, Georgia at the recent SHA conference in Atlanta.  Some of
the settlements date before the Civil War, while others were established in
the late 19th century.  R.J. Reynolds bought the island in the 50s and
persuaded the Gullah to relocate in one area, a community called Hog Hammock.

Although there is nothing in print as yet,  Ray is busy editing transcripts
from interviews and making maps of the communities.  I spent a month on Sapelo
interviewing all the Gullah over the age of 70 for this project a few years
ago, and I can honestly say it was one of the most pleasant months of my life.
I can't wait to see the results in print.  You can contact Ray at

Norma Harris
University of West Florida