HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:36:59 -0400
Jared,
The Hatchett Drug Store Museum has several dozen condom tins called "Three Merry Widows" (identified on the tin as Agnes, Mabel, and Beckie).  The collection dates from the 1870's to 1957 so it overlaps with the dates of your site. The museum tins contained no advertising.  These round tins were silver-colored and measured 1/2" in height and 1.5" diameter. These tins appeared empty.
Al Bergevin's "Drugstore Tins and Their Prices," Wallace-Homestead Book Company, Radnor, Pennsylvania (1990) devoted 9 pages to black and white photos of prophylactic tins.  These included 37 photos and about 30 brands.  Dimensions are given, but not dates of manufacture unfortunately.  In another reference book, Patricia McDaniel's "Drugstore Collectibles" same publisher, 1994, thirteen condom tins are described from about 10 companies.  These are described as "pre-1930 tins" so they come close to the date of your site.  The author does not include photos, but gives a good description of the advertising on the tins and dimensions.
If you can make out any lettering on the tins from your excavation, I may be able to match them to the brand names, etc.
Best wishes,
Allen