HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:00:39 -0700
Susan:

Don't know of a referrence that can be of help, but I am aware of an
early 20th century house constructed entirely of beer bottles in the
mining town of Rhyolite, Nevada.  The walkway leading up to the front
door is also constructed of complete bottles that have been
intentionally buried with their bottoms up to form the walk surface of
this landscape feature.  Naturally when bottles are "dumped" they have a
tendancy to lay flat unless they are propted up by adjacent bottles, at
which point they would be at an angle.  If your bottom-up bottles were
found without supporting bottles, than it could be assumed that the
positioning was intentional rather than random.  Context of both bottle
positioning and within the site is the key.  Good luck......ww