HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Linda K. Derry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:27:11 -0500
I'm finding the discussion of state registries very interesting, since  as
Mr. Parker pointed out Alabama's Attorney General does not allow the SHPO's
office to maintain a register of archaeologists.  Our SHPO has to say
essentially  "you have to have an archaeologist Mr/Ms. contractor, and by
the way good luck finding one cause I can't help you.  Why not try the
yellow pages?"      As I understand it (Jim correct me if I am wrong) the
Attorney General will not allow a list  because    the SHPO cannot leave
anyone off the list simply because they are not qualified according to the
Dept. of Interior's standards and  guidelines.  Again, according to my
understanding, the Att. Gen. has this opinion because the National Park
Service informed us that they would not stand behind their own guidelines"
in this application.  "  What's up that dat?"  Are we misunderstanding the
situation, or are the rest of you just willing to run the risk of nasty
legal problems from people left of your lists?  Inquiring minds what to
know?
Linda Derry