HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Barna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:37:32 -0600
Howdy --

This was an interesting comment implying that digging at a field school,
which I've done at several places, is somehow diferent that CRM digging.

Can someone explain to me the difference?  I gather from the statement
that CRM digging might be faster, or someone different, but what kinds of
shortcuts are you taking that differ from methods taught at arch field
schools?

Carl Barna
Regional Historian
BLM Colorado State Office

  It
> seems
> most universities arent teaching students any practical skills to use
> in
> the CRM world of archy (where most of them will get their first job
> upon
> graduating).  They still teach field school excavation digging with
> trowels...i.e., S L O W paced.
Ah, the memory of Marshalltowns making that "ying, ying" sound as they
are scraped across concrete hard dirt at the bottom of 5 foot squares
in a broiling hot sun guaranteed to fry the brains of anything more
sentient than a historian ;>))
>   This doesnt exactly prepare graduates for
> real CRM excavation....nor all the other skills required...as Iain
> mentions.  There should be a 'trade school' type of course work...to
> produce better prepared CRM workers.

My tuppence worth.

Lyle Browning