HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 09:29:18 +0100
The OED points out that Colliers were makers and marketers of charcoal
before they were minders of coal.  (c1350 for the first use, 1594 for
the latter).
The OED doesn't refer to the exact phrase 'colliers pit', but it does
give a quote of 1573 for 'colliers hearth'.

Best wishes to all,

Pat

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)