HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Leavitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:08:46 -0700
An article from 1959 by Chas. B. Hunt (Geotimes, Vol III, No. 8, May-June
1959: 8-10, 34) supports this argument from a slightly different direction
and suggests that the WWI timing is coincidental. Hunt notes that this is
the same  period that the use of the various bottle-making machines became
more common.  He argues that machine production required generally more
care in glass formulae than did hand production. The result was a decline
in those impurities that caused color in the first place, as well as a
decline  in the use of manganese to neutralize those colors. He notes that
prior to WWI, and the introduction of wide-spread machine manufacture,
chemical analyses indicated that manganese ranged from 1.0 percent to 0.1
percent. Modern (i.e. late 1950's) glass was likely to contain less than
0.001 percent manganese. He doesn't list the earlier iron ratios, but in
the late 50s iron was at about 0.02 percent.

Robert Leavitt