HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:59:57 -0400

In a message dated 10/19/2006 11:25:41 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Can't  the SHPO keep track? Maybe not...in my state three different
offices keep  records. If they were taxi fares, dropped off at the
road, and not  "trespassed" with dangers and litigious backgrounds I
wouldn't want to  know, but as a GRE taking working stiff I'd like to
at least to reference  what I know with what I've done. One job I
couldn't even get the name of  the doctor who took blood and urine
samples from its business  manager.

California has at least twelve information centers. Most cities and  counties
in California require an institutional record search of all recorded  sites
within one mile of the property. The record search includes a confidential  map
of all properties studied, a list of the reports, all recorded sites, all
landmarks, and computer print outs list what each report contains. You can run
computer searches to help analyzing the research of previous investigators.
The  reviewing agency, city or county, usually scrutinizes the record search to
see  what research questions have been pursued in those reports and what data
gaps  exist. The consultant then uses this to formulate a research basis for
evaluating the sites found during the field survey and to orient testing to
ascertain the potential for scientific contribution. Of course, the degree of
analysis by the city or county depends a lot on the academic training of the
reviewer and how much authority management will allow. My complaint is that s
ome  companies complete their field survey before getting the record search
back.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.