HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2018 02:49:43 +0000
Dear Hist Arch'ers (with apologies for cross-posting),

I'm writing to let you know about two journal articles that have been pre-released digitally, and will be published in print later this year.

"The Archaeology of Precarious Lives: Chinese Railroad Workers in Nineteenth-Century North America" (Current Anthropology) http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/697945. In anticipation of the May 2019 150th anniversary of the completion of the first transcontinental railroad, this essay reflects on the challenges and opportunities of archaeological research on highly mobile immigrant laborers.

"The Archaeology of Home: Qiaoxiang and Nonstate Actors in the Archaeology of the Chinese Diaspora," co-authored with J. Ryan Kennedy, Jinhua [Selia] Tan, and Laura Ng (American Antiquity) https://doi.org/10.1017/aaq.2018.16. This article reports the results of a survey and surface collection at Cangdong Village, a home village (qiaoxiang) of 19th century Chinese migrants in Guangdong Province, China.

If you don't have institutional access to these journals but would like one or both articles, please contact me directly at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and I can send you an author's e-print pdf.

My thanks to all my colleagues in the Archaeology Network of the Chinese Railroad Workers in North America Project, the Guangdong Qiaoxiang Cultural Research Center at Wuyi University (Jiangmen), the Guangdong Provincial Institute of Archaeology and Cultural Relics, and all the participants in the Cangdong Village Archaeology Project for their many contributions to both studies.

--Barb

Barbara L. Voss, Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
450 Serra Mall, Bldg. 50, Main Quad