HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:35:52 +0100
Timothy Riordan wrote:

> Edward Challinor (c. 1842-1867) made a series of Jenny Lind plates.  They feature a portarit > in the center surrounded by four nightingales.

There was another 'Jenny Lind' pattern featuring a portrait (but no
nightingales) made by J&MP Bell of Glasgow (1842-1928): According to
Coysh and Henrywood (Vol I, pg 39), "The firm also produced wares
printed with a portrait of Jenny Lind, the Swedish signer who aroused
great enthusiasm in Britain after her first appearance in London in
1847".  There is a nightingale on the mark.

William Adams & Sons (1819-present) and J.T. Close and Co. (1855-?) both
produced a design on small plates called "Maddle Jenny Lind"
(Maddle=Madam), but I have no idea what this looks like (helpful, aren't
I?).

Finally, I own a bowl marked "Lind" that appears to date from the second
half of the 19th century, and which features a transfer-printed scene
that bears no apparent relationship to Maddle Lind or Sweden (not that
this is an uncommon practice).  Unfortunately, said bowl is currently in
the USA, and I'm in the UK so I can't provide any further information on
this vessel (particularly helpful....).

Alasdair Brooks
University of York