HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:42:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hello all,

I am forming a session to be presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology conference on April 6-10, 2005 in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  The theme of the conference is Heritage, Environment, and Tourism.  I think that the work of many archaeologists fit very well with the theme.  I am looking for people who would be interested in participating in the session, which will be focused on using archaeology in heritage education and tourism.  Please see abstract below.  This provides a unique opportunity to share common themes with other Anthropology disciplines.

If you are interested contact me.

M. Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaeological Survey

[log in to unmask]
(502) 494-5960

A Common Heritage:  
Using the Past to Benefit the Present 

M. Jay Stottman (organizer)

Over the last decade, many archaeologists have begun to realize that archaeology is much more than the study of the past.  Critical approaches to archaeological research and more focus on public archaeology has led some archaeologists to realize that the presence, process, and results of their projects can have an effect on present day communities.  Some researchers have embraced the potential of archaeology to connect the past with the present, by focusing on heritage tourism and education.  Through the process and product of archaeology, archaeologists are using tourism and education to revitalize communities, provide economic benefits, and connect the public with their heritage.  This session features projects that use the past to benefit the present.   

ATOM RSS1 RSS2