HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:22:32 -0400
Shops are a special category why stop there, why not special symposiums,
discussion sessions or any other element within the annual meeting...", if
the only way we can manage the latter -- and they are worth it in the minds
of the SHA Executive -- then I say we pay.  We are not going to get too far
if we adopt the attitude: "Oh, that costs money.  We can't have that."
Having put a lot of volunteer hours into the SHA myself, from newsletter
current research area coordinator to president, I appreciate that the
Society runs on volunteer energy (this may well change as we grow and, it
is to be hoped, prosper).  However, a few "pay for play" events are not
going to stifle the Society or its members.  We used to get receptions for
free; the last few years we have had to pay to attend (you may say that
these are not "educational" events but I find them most enlightening!).
Pre- and post-conference tours all cost.  The banquet costs.  So why get
bent out of shape over a few workshops?  However, I do agree that this
needs to be discussed at the SHA Annual Business Meeting and resolved, and
I look forward to seeing all of you there! A letter to the current SHA
President would ensure that it is discussed by the board prior to the
meeting and gets on the agenda.