HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wm Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 23:06:35 -0400
About 15 years ago I was working on the Golden Triangle Block in New
Brunswick, New Jersey for a CRM firm named RAM (Now CRCG).  We had multiple
shaft features that had all been filled around the same time c.1876.  The
company historian found a local ordinance requiring property owners to fill
in their old shafts when city water and sewer came through.  They had a
short period of time in which to do so or it would be done for them at the
owner's expense.  These shafts were considered the source of many health
problems at the time.  As a result it would seam likely for people to throw
away whole utilitarian storage vessels (stoneware and redware), bottles,
plates with chipped rims, odd unwanted pieces along with any other trash in
the household.  The dates of the ordinance correlated perfectly with the
fill episodes for the shafts.