HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:45:46 -0400
David and other Histarchers,
    I have been following this thread with interest and learning a good deal.  I
think that the attached jpegs (apologies for quality of images) may be one of the
so-called Astbury wares or red bodied wares or maybe something else entirely - I
may be off in left field somewhere.

    The site is the U.S. Arsenal at Augusta, first occupied in the late 1820s and
open until the mid 1950s.  We have found our share of the Creamwares, Pearlwares
and Whitewares, but this red bodied ware is unusual on the site.

    At any rate, I have attached 3 jpegs of a teapot with a very dark brown glaze
(almost appearing black in places).  In the lighter areas, it resembles Rockingham
(here we go again with those names).  The exterior glaze has a lustre finish but
there is no white glaze on the interior.

    If anyone can tell me what this ought to be called and/or provide
bibliographical references, it would be appreciated.

    Christopher Murphy
    History & Anthropology
    Augusta State University