HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Espenshade, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:38:49 -0400
Jim's argument is blatantly Ameri-centric, and also ignores the fact that
many states require the use of the metric system (the Pennsylvania
Department of Transportation, for example).  In the era of the internet and
world-wide e-publishing, it is ridiculous to be arguing that we should
forego English for metric, because Americans can only understand English.  I
personally hope that my work is being read beyond the US, and I would like
Candadian or European or whatever readers to be able to understand my
measurements without needing a conversion chart.

It does not matter which type of ruler you use, all responsible
archaeologists should consistently include both measurement systems in their
reports.  If everybody did this, metric vs. English would be a non-issue for
archaeologists.

Chris Espenshade