HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steve Boxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:28:31 -0700
All,
   I have read with interest all the threads to my original post.  There
are some very good and relevant points.  As far as basic map skills, etc.
I learned mine from the US Army Infantry (many cool years there), so I
guess I am as well rounded as I need to be there.  I keep forgetting that
my life experiences have taught me many things that come in handy in
archaeology, and that fresh-from-college students don't have those.  I
still believe that much more field experience should be required in order
to get into Grad. school.  I guess my frustration is in that I may have
to work under a completely inept Crew Chief, just because they may have a
degree and I don't (I know, sour grapes...).
   As far as note-taking and report writing are concerned, that is also
something that can be learned much quicker in the real world, as long as
you have someone willing to look over your shoulder.  I have been lucky
in that regard, as many people have taken the time to feed my desire for
learning (Dan, take a bow).  And as for social theories, I am much more
concerned with the small picture, what happened on a site and why.  And
more often than not, common sense can go a long way in figuring this out.
If I was interested in the "big picture" theories, I would take the time
to go in depth on this subject.  (I don't need college for this, I have
these lists to ask after relevant books!)
   I think it boils down to one thing, I love archaeology.  And because
of this I have taken the time to learn well the particulars that really
interest me.  My years at college taught me almost nothing compared to
what I have learned in my years putting my interests to work in the real
world.  Oh, by the way, Taft I owe you a great debt for all the help and
encouragement you have given me over the years.  I'm sure I will probably
have more to say later (please bear with me), but right now there is a 10
x 10 calling my name.  Thank goodness I escaped from the CRM trap.
Cheers, and keep the thoughts rolling.

Steve Boxley
The Virginia Foundation for Archaeological Research