HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:30:57 -0400
I just happen to have one sitting on my desk, a gift from a friend a few years ago. It's not actually a Codd's Patent, but much the same idea. In place of the convolutions in the neck, there are two indentations that accomplish the same purpose. The "marble" appears to be soluble, as it has disappeared into the contents over the last few years. The distributor is Nishimoto Trading Co. Ltd., Kobe, Japan. I can't tell you who the manufacturer is because it is printed in Japanese. It's probably just as well they didn't translate, if the presence of the word "dericious" on the label is any indication.

Marty Pickands
New York State Museum Cultural Resource Survey

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/16/05 8:38 PM >>>
Graham

I haven't seen any new Codds about, but at one of the historical re-creation
sites some years back [?Old Sydney Town] I did see some intact probably
original ones refilled and being used as props in a ye olde shoppe display.

When I travelled to Japan I did see them still being manufactured and
selling some sort of soft drink.  I collected a few but they've been lost
over the years.

Denis