HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:54:36 +0800
I have been following this debate about what makes an archaeologist and the
earlier remarks about archaeologists pretending to be historians. I guess my
gripe comes from the opposite side to the historians.

I am an historical archaeologist.

I read archaeology, history, geography and anthropology to get my degree. My
honours thesis drew heavily on  primary historical research to understand &
recreate the conditions of a shipwreck so I could model artifact patterning.
My Ph.D research involves extensive primary historical research on early
colonial settlement in WA. Yet my skills and experience as a historical
researcher are consistently overlooked in the CRM environment in which I
work.

A case in point arrived in my post yesterday. The town which is the subject
of my Ph.D research is being assessed for permanent entry on our state
Register of Historic Places.  The Heritage Council paid an historian to
assess the place, who came straight to me as the acknowledged expert on the
place (note the Heritage Council did not ask the acknowledged expert to do
the assessment).

When  I read the assessment yesterday I noticed that although the historian
has acknowledged that she has lifted the physical assessment straight from
one of my reports she did not acknowledge that she had done the same for the
documentary section (even to the footnotes).  The pillaged report was only
mentioned in the bibliography at the end of the assessment.

So when is an historian an historian? At what point does an historical
archaeologist qualify as both? I could easily have done the same honours and
Ph.D. research in the history department without connecting it to the
archaeology and received good degrees.

And  before someone gripes, yes I share my research with historians, which
is one of the reasons the historian knew exactly where to go. And to
forestall another point, yes our Heritage Council also knew of my research,
I have written several reports on Cossack for them including the ones used.

Gaye