HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:05:48 -0400
I live near Westchester Square in the Bronx, NYC, where the Huntington
Free Library is, the card catalog for Heye Foundation ethnography's
collection, and all publications related to Native American's, which
incidentally had many of the rare published histories of NYC and New
York State. I used it to continue research on the parking lot in the
South Street Seaport after the Main Branch of the Public Library was
closed for renovations and improvements provided by the Rose family I
think, who also improved the Planetarium at the Museum of Natural
History.

Mary B. Davis, the Librarian there, has a business card which says:
"Specialized Collections in: Bronx History, Indians of the Americas"
Huntington Free Library, 9 Westchester Square, Bronx, NY 10461-3583.
(718) 829-7770 FAX (718) 829-4875. There is also an email, from a
while ago: [log in to unmask]

When I was in grad school, a fellow student worked on collections
there a Ms. Callendar, who told me they would have find alternative
quarters as a "matching grant" could not be found. She related there
were also some local, though fairly unprovenienced materials from the
prehistory of the NY metro area. She was staying at a "LaGuardia"
brick family summer residence, someone said. I hope someone documents
it, the "Little Flower," Mayor LaGuardia was quite popular.

George Myers