HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 18:35:33 -0500

> In a message dated 5/9/2000 6:23:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> << Not sure if this went thru the first time.  Sorry if it is a repost.
>
>  Can anyone provide references addressing structure/techniques/excavation
> used for hand
>  dug water wells of the period 1800-1850, particularly in Texas, USA?

Question?  Are you asking about the original excavation of the well, or the
archaeological excavation of the well?  The site in Alabama I'm working on
was know as "The city of artesian wells"  Are you interested in artesian
wells?  I'm asking cause many of our townspeople moved on to Texas in the
mid 19th century and could dig up an article for you on artesian wells in
Alabama.

Linda Derry ( [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> )
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission