HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Uwe Müller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:58:22 +0100
Hi Robert,

I know these pieces from medieval Europe, where they are considered to
be parts of board games like checkers, or backgammon.
Metal, sort of coin-like pieces could come from a calculating board,
working like the abacus. I vaguely recall a renaissance painting with a
rich trader presented sitting at his counting board surrounded by his
tools and treasures.

I can supply references, most of it in german though, if needed.

Have fun

Uwe Mueller