HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:10:07 -0600
Perfect, Smoke. You always come through. Thank you.

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural Resources Management ¨

National Park Service – Intermountain Region ¨ 505.988.6831Voice ¨

505.988.6876 Fax

 The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American

              people so that all may experience our heritage.

                      Michael Pfeiffer

                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]

                      .US>                     cc:       (bcc: Cathy Spude/SANTAFE/NPS)

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: manganese clarified glass date

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      09/22/2004 12:36

                      PM EST

                      Please respond to

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

"1915 - Glass formulas delete manganese".  In: Some Common Artifact Found

at Historical Sites.  Cultural Resources Report No.31, USDA Forest Service,

Southwestern Region, Albuqueque, N.M., February 1980 by David Gillio,

Francis Levine, and Douglas Scott. page 17

"Manganese was used in bottle glass up to about 1917 in order to give the

glass a clearer effect.  After this date, ultra-violet rays of the sun

would not turn glass "purple", a change caused by the manganese content of

the glass."

IMACS users Guide, April 1984, section 472.  This is the guide to filling

out site forms for computer entry back then.  It was developed in Region 4

(Utah, Nevada, and southern 2/3 of Idaho).  I used it in 1983 and 1984

while working for the BLM in Salmomn, Idaho.

I don't have the orginal sources.

:-(

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA

Ozark-St. Francis National Forests

605 West Main Street

Russellville, Arkansas 72801

(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

             Cathy Spude

             Sent by:                  [log in to unmask]

             HISTORICAL                                                 cc

             ARCHAEOLOGY

             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject

             >                         manganese clarified glass date

             09/22/2004 11:13

             AM

             Please respond to

                HISTORICAL

                ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCHers:

I'm looking for a citation for the end date of the use of manganese to

clarify glass in the United States. Dale Berge in his still relevant report

on the Simpson's Springs excavations in Utah tells us it was 1917, based on

a collector's book (Ferraro and Ferraro 1964). I have "known" for some

years now that the United States stopped importing manganese from Germany

as early as 1915 and that is a better end date for glass that solarizes

purple. I've used that date for some time now, but a reviewer on one of my

reports wants a citation (*&#!*#!!!). I've gone through all my standard

references and can't find anyone else who will back me up.

Anyone who can help?