HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 15:33:51 -0700
I am writing a preliminary research design for a project in northern
California, and am looking for reports on similar sites so that I can pose
intelligent (or at least that's the idea) research questions to guide
possible test excavations and frame significance evaluations.

The site is in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada--mining country--and is a
roadhouse dating from ca. 1875 to 1910. Travelers stopped here for a night,
or a meal, or maybe just to change horses. It was, of course, connected to
a homestead.

Another component of the site is a copper mine dating from ca. 1890 to
1920. The people who owned the roadhouse operated the mine and boarded the
miners in an on-site bunkhouse. I am interested in both the mining
operation and the physical remains of bunkhouse living.

I'd be happy to hear about examples from any geographic region. Report
citations would be most useful. Feel free to respond off-list to

Thank you.

Grace Ziesing
Anthropological Studies Center