HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:20:25 +0200
Theoretically, yeah; but here (in germany) we have the problem that a lot of
archaeologist students are still discouraged from getting practical
experience, because that's for "technicians"
So their review of data quality is often fairly dubious at best
So on the Cologne subway project, for example (touted as being the largest
construction project in Europe right now) most of the digging is done by
students (many from other disciplines) who can come in one day a week to
supplement their income up to a maximum of 400 euros a month; in Saxony we
were working with long-term unemployed on government make-work programs:
alcoholics, housewives, etc.
& of course you can't compare that to ROPA/IFA standards found elsewhere
So everyone is always trying to figure out how the competition cuts prices &
wins contracts
So they look to see if drawings were really done by hand (as stipulated in
the guidelines), or done digitally and then "copied" later, etc.
One of my bosses said it didn't matter about my soil descriptions,
interpretations, etc., as long as - when I said a profile was 2.45m wide -
that it was 2.45m wide on the drawing, too, because that's all that was
checked by the "lead agency professional reviews"