HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:59:52 -0600
Hi,

As you all know, lots of leather is recovered from nineteenth and
earlyt twentieth century sites e.g., shoe leather, harness, etc.  OK,
generally speaking, if its just fragments or scraps, I have just  put
it in paper bags and let it dry for later processing or curation.
However, let's say I recover a leather or cloth artifact that  seems
worthy of more extensive long-term storage, curation, restoration or
whatever.  What are reocmmendations for short to medium-term storage
of something like a damp or waterlogged shoe.  Sealed container?
Refrigeration? Freezing?  Thinking about coming out of the field,
stabilizing, and holding for further work ...  Comments or
suggestions.   Thanks in advance.

--

Mark C. Branstner

Illinois Transportation