HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:29:15 -0500
>Does it matter to me that friend Matt doesn't  have a university degree?
>Not really (although as an academic I hope others don't follow his example
>or I'll be out of a job!).

Actually, for most folks I do reccommend continuing with post secondary
education. First of all, you wont make nearlt as many typos as I do ;) and
also you might not have a friend who is taking classes (that is one that
will tape classes, give you copies of handouts and other visual aids, etc).

>If treasure salvors and their terrestrial colleagues (I won't use
>the "P" word) did these things too I would welcome them into the
>archaeological fold.

I think one of the problems is the "pirate" salvors never bother to
research a site, record the distribution of the site, etc. Generally just
don't do much of anything. Most of them, at least when they start probably
don't even know how to preserve an artifact. Personally, I plan on writing
extensive papers, and probably a book someday. But not all salvors are like
this.

>Perhaps Matt doesn't work that way. If so, I apologize for misrepresenting
>him.

Thanks for the apology...I'm getting used to it tho. ;)

Matt CIM
The man who never sleeps