HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John R Hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:37:11 +1000
After a quick look at the site, as an Australian I cannot comment on the
legality of his work in the American context, though it would certainly be
illegal where I am. However OH&S is another matter. I suspect he may not be
around to long - no precautions against disease in the way of safety gear or
masks and no shoring in the pit. Depending on the soil conditions walls can
collapse that quick that he would not even have time to straighten up. The
pressure of the soil on his chest would be that great that once he breathed
out he would not be able to breathe in again. I hope no professional
archaeologist would work under such conditions. This issue is a bit of a
hobby horse of mine especially since doing a trench shoring and rescue
course with the volunteer fire brigade and seeing the videos and photos of
what happens and listening to the stories of those involved in rescues. Take
care out there.
John