HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:52:31 -0400
I have always advocated the need for parallel communication in a long-term
project that includes a series of popularized articles that are richly
illustrated and written for the sixth grade mentality. I learned in journalism  that
popular writing is always aimed at that level. Moreover, I learned that dry
text will not draw public attention. Embedded art work, photograph, and
interpretation in artwork to explain the text is the way to reach the public. An
excellent example would be Jack Williams' wonderful illustrations of 18th
century Spanish soldiers, military buildings, and lifeways within presidio
compounds that he uses in power point lectures to the popular community. I say
parallel because we also need to publish professional articles and it would hurt
no one to embed a few art pieces to carry points to the profession. But what do
 we do for the short term? How do we fund parallel publications on projects
that  only take a few weeks in the field?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.