HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Harmon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 04:08:55 -0700
Call For SAA Papers:  GIS and Remote Sensing
Technologies in Historical Archaeology

Hi,

I am writing to find people interested in presenting
papers at the upcoming SAA meeting in Austin in April
of 2007.

I’d like to get papers that present new and/or
innovative methodological applications, with a focus
on historical sites.  Papers that present substantive
research results will also be great.  Any region and
time period are welcome.

We already have three papers committed, and I would
like to get several more together to make a full
session.  One of our papers is based on a GPS/GIS
mapping inventory project, one on experimental
applications of non-optical remote sensing in
landscape analysis, and one on a GPR and resistivity
survey at Valley Forge.

There will be a fairly strong NPS contingent, so I’d
like extend a special invitation to colleagues in CRM
and academic worlds.

Preliminary Draft Session Abstract:

GIS and remote sensing technologies have become
well-established as part of the   archaeology toolkit.
 These technologies have arguably had the most impact
in archaeological research focused on pre-Contact
periods, often emphasizing predictive modeling and
cultural ecological analyses.  Papers in this session
present recent substantive and methodological research
in historical archaeology, highlighting a broad range
of applications for the subfield.  Current research
presented points out not just greater use of these
technologies in historical period research, but also
an emerging depth of impact in terms of analyses that
go beyond baseline mapping.

The deadline for session submittals is early in
September, so the deadline for paper submittals under
this call will be September 1, 2006 for paper titles
and complete abstracts.

Please let me know if you are interested or have any
questions, and feel free to circulate this message.
My contact information is listed below, email will
work the best.

Jim Harmon

James M. Harmon, Ph.D.
Archeologist, Northeast Region Archeology Program
15 State Street
Boston, MA 02109
(617) 223-5127
(267) 767-3805 cell