HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Touton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:29:30 -0700
Just Daniel's sentiments; those who are interested can probably find
English obituaries online:

------------------------
Jaime Litvak King: 1933-2006

One of the greatest archaeologists of the continent has passed away.
And what hurts most is that he was one of those great human beings that
our Latin America, and the world, produce so rarely.  At least I knew no
one else like Jaime.

For the youngest, below are various biographies from the internet that
have been posted with the thousands of mails that since yesterday have
been sent through the virtual world; I think that every person who met
him, liked him: I never met anyone in archaeology, no one, in the entire
world, who could say that "Litvak" hadn't helped him.

He did many things, wrote, studied, fostered things that others did,
never accepted honors nor wore a clean tie.

I remember him for having been someone who would stand up in his time
against the monopoly of anthropological knowledge in Mexico (the INAH* )
and, unimaginably, he founded a new center at the UNAM**, independent,
small, modest, that today is one of the greatest intellectual
constructions on the continent.  What the Social Revolution of the '70s
did for ideology, he did for the concrete: he opened the rules of the
game to everyone, fostered the loosening up with investigators of the
entire world--including "the bad ones" of the United States--he
compelled the introduction of computation, formed a library without
doubt superior to all the rest in Mexico and the continent, and a long
list which is impossible to follow.  He was always there, ready,
prepared to help any who entered his modest glass cubicle.

One time, a couple of years ago, I asked for an appointment with the
director of the Institute that Litvak had founded to tell her that I
thought it wrong that he was in this modest corner of the library like
anyone else; he himself prevented me and by way of explanation he took
me to the bar to show me that on its walls the sun faded the excellent
collection of caricatures of archaeologists he had worked with for
thirty years.  It was there, without words: an epoch was dissolving;
those who come here aren't even interested in who they were.  It was
Litvak who had the greatness to give space in his institute to the
generation that founded INAH, beginning with Ignacio Bernal, in a
gesture that we hope that history earnestly repairs itself.

He has been a great man.  And every time I see a collectible toy
Mercedes car, I will think of him.

Daniel Schávelzon

--------------------------------
* [Instituto Nacional de Antropologia e Historia]
** [Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico]

--

Michelle Touton
Archaeologist

Archeo-Tec