HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steve Boxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:53:03 -0700
All,
   I have a question, and bone to pick.  When, and why, did the
educational requirements to be hired in this field start?  I can
understand it to a degree, but it seems as if it has become totally
inflexible.  I have no college degree, I shot myself in the foot by
accepting a job before I finished my degree.  I have worked in
archaeology now for almost six years, in acedemic archaeology, CRM, and
for the past three years with a private not-for-profit company.
Fortunately for me, I have been hired by individuals that could see past
the lack of degree.  Doesn't anyone remember the apprenticeship era?  It
seems to me that years of practical experience are far more valuable than
a piece of paper.  I won't go into the many graduate students that I have
had to teach how to lay out a 10' x 10', or what a posthole looks like.
Anyway, forgive my raving, it was brought about by reading job postings
on the 'Net.  Anyway, let's see if we can actually get some constructive
dialog started on this topic.  Cheers.

Steve Boxley
The Virginia Foundation for Archaeological Research