HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Agbe-Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:03:52 -0500
Debbie Rotman wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
>   One of my students recalls reading an article that examined the relative
> proportions of soup bones/soup bowls and steak bones/platters, etc. to
> determine socioeconomic status.  However, we have been unable to
> come up with a reference.  Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Debbie Rotman
> Ball State University

I believe John Otto's work at Cannon's Point plantation deals with this
problem, although I'm embarrassed to admit I cannot remember if he
attributes the soup/steak division to socio-econ status or to the other
differences between the three social groups at the site (planter,
overseer and slave)

Hope this helps,

Anna

p.s.  The main source I know of for this work is his book, published by
Academic Press (?)

--
Anna Agbe-Davies