HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:03:22 -0400
On Sep 7, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Ron May wrote:

> Well Lyle, if the federal government wont regulate privy pirates, the
> State
> of California certainly won't. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's
> Performance
> Review Committee has just recommended elimination of all commissions,
> licensing,
> and hearing boards in California to save $1.8 billion. The current
> buzz among
> professionals out here is the proposed elimination of the State
> Historical
> Resources Commission and SHPO that is currently on the table. There
> has been one
> public hearing, but the chair denied any public comment and only took
> testimony from locally elected officials. Two other hearings are
> scheduled, but the
> point of the Performance Review is to eliminate public input in the
> legislative
> process. I should think the privy pirates will be having a mega party
> in the
> coming months, as no one in California government will stop their
> depradations.
> And, if Governor Schwarzenegger will not read our letters and
> Performance
> Review will not allow public testimony, then there is no hope. Looks
> like the
> privy pirates are gonna win this round.

Why might they not be tied in knots using the existing laws? Make it so
difficult to function that they would have to keep the system going out
of sheer frustration in dealing with archaeologists attacks using the
system.

Hell, if you're out of a job anyway, what have you got to lose.
Besides, you gotta find some outlet for your frustrations from slinging
burgers.

Lyle Browning