HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:38:31 -0400
One of the interesting botanical facts about rare plants is their genetic
adaptation to particular soil chemistry. I worked with botanists who
demonstrated variations in Endangered Species often were directly linked to the
particular chemistry of Gabroic soils in our back country. The introduction by  cross
pollenation or some similar process of closely related exotic species can
override those special adaptations and produce really crazy results. Thus, I can
 easily see the native cane marrying with a European species and creating a
hybrid that infests much of the nation, killing its ancestral species off in
the  process. By analogy, we might have done that to the Neanderthals.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.