HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 08:52:01 +1000
Bob, you're right, historical archaeology in the US has drawn considerable
strength from its position within anthropology departments and from its
intellectual basis there.  However, Alasdair's point is that neither that
position nor that basis is universal.

In Australia, as in the UK, archaeology most frequently exists in its own
department, and believe it or not, Archaeology and Anthropology departments
rarely speak to one-another.  I'd suggest that here we'd be advised not
holding our breaths waiting for a welcome in that direction!  In fact,
several Archaeology departments here had their origins in History
departments, and the first appointment in academic archaeology in the
country was Professor John Mulvaney, a history graduate, who was appointed
at Melbourne University, in the History Department.  Incidentally, Baldwin
Spencer, famous (or infamous) for his ethnographic work among Aboriginal
people, held the chair of the Biology Department of that same institution.
The first academic position in historical archaeology here (which I was
fortunate to hold) was in a Visual Arts Department, so anything is possible.

Another international difference which is emerging in this discussion is
that while the Americans are talking about graduate programs, others of us
don't have 'grad school' per se, and our teaching efforts and program
development must be focussed at undergraduates, who have far less
opportunity to explore and experiment here than they do in the US.  This
does not preclude us designing degree structures that suggest historical
archaeology pathways.  At La Trobe we presently offer a joint BA in
Historical Archaeology and History, as well as a Graduate Diploma in
Historical Archaeology, and I know that Flinders has a specific Bachelor of
Archaeology which has a strong historical archaeology stream.

Getting back to Iain's original question, it seems that we are all in
agreement that training in history is fundamental to us, and something
which we will continue to emphasise in teaching programs.

Susan

Dr Susan Lawrence
Senior Lecturer
Department of Archaeology