HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:55:40 -0400
In a message dated 10/15/2006 10:10:19 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I have always advocated the need for parallel communication in a long-term
>
> project that includes a series of popularized articles that are richly
> illustrated and written for the sixth grade mentality. I learned in
> journalism  that
> popular writing is always aimed at that level. Moreover, I learned that dry
>
> text will not draw public attention. Embedded art work, photograph, and
> interpretation in artwork to explain the text is the way to reach the
> public. An
> excellent example would be Jack Williams' wonderful illustrations of 18th
> century Spanish soldiers, military buildings, and lifeways within presidio
> compounds that he uses in power point lectures to the popular community. I
> say
> parallel because we also need to publish professional articles and it would
> hurt
> no one to embed a few art pieces to carry points to the profession. But what
> do
> we do for the short term? How do we fund parallel publications on projects
> that  only take a few weeks in the field?
>
> Ron May
> Legacy 106, Inc.

I would say that "dry text" will not draw a professional audience in the
archaeology field, either.  Professionals appreciate the addition of graphic aids
in articles.  Both delivered papers and articles are far more attractive when
accompanied by well done photographs, graphs and other graphic materials.  The
brain is geared to best understanding the world through graphic
representation, not text.

Mike
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah