HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 21:54:22 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Debbie Rotman <[log in to unmask]>
writes
>Pat-
>  To answer your question, the factory was indeed converted into a
>house.  It was a one-and-a-half story brick structure.  Ben Schroeder
>had begun his saddletree manufacturing business in 1878.  All aspects
>of the operation were conducted in and around this building.

I do hope you didn't think that I was questioning your knowlege/evidence
of the history of this building: rather, I find the history unusual and
interesting.  But mine is a European persepective: you do (some) things
differently, of course.

I wonder even more so now you call it a 'vat house': is this a tanning
factory?  These places smell to high heaven!  I wonder if the smell
lingers.

I suppose what I'm really asking is: is such change in useage from
?smelly, industrial useage to ?middle-class/factory owner occupation
typical?  If not, why would the family have done it?

Best wishes,

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)