HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Robert L. Cerra" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 05:17:31 -0600
From: Jill bennett gaieski <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2006/12/07 Thu AM 09:10:37 CST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Questions of science in the courtroom

Actually, that's not entirely correct.  First, "Courtrooms" are not deciding --
people are.  Judges, who unfortunately are for the most part no more well
versed in the sciences than the average juror, are bestowed with the task of
determining whether a proffered scientifc theory is, under the resurected Fry
standared, "generally accepted." When the issue is in dispute, such as the
causation issue for global warming, a judge will unavoidably need to decide
what the jury will and will not hear (see Justice Scalia's remark to the
lawyers at oral argument, “Troposphere, whatever, I told you before I’m not a
scientist.” And when the issue is before the U.S. Supreme Court the stakes are
even higher.  As Justice Kennedy suggested, "maybe the court will decide to
decide this issue for itself." Good luck to them!

Jill Bennett Gaieski, Esq.
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Anthropology (Historical Archaeology)
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia

 The courtroom doesn't decide scientific questions it determines wether the
information offered should be presented to jury and/or judge.

     It may reject the evidence even if it has scientific validity.
    Sometimes people confuse justice and the justice system.

     If you want a verdict that fits your idea of what the outcome should be
then the justice system can get in the way.

    Regards
    Bob C.