HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
VEE RING LTD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 01:30:03 -0400
Yes, "garbage archaeology" did demonstrate in an American DESERT ENVIRONMENT
that paper was well preserved. Indeed, the sorting of "artifacts" from at
least one comparatively recent  historical garbage dump into "categories" --
as I remember from reading that work many years ago -- demonstrated that
PHONE BOOKS were at the top of the list in quantity (for that site).

As for conservation of paper -- or conservation in general, most
archaeologists are not prepared in their training to handle such things. And
well they might not be since it is a very specialized field of work.
Professional conservators have a vast literature (their journals and books)
that seldom come to the attention of archaeologists (I am being too general;
many do know of the literature). Apologies to those who do understand the
processes of conservation and do use technical experts in that field.

And there is a great deal of literature and experience with "water logged"
materials available -- both from fresh water and salt water environments.
But the literature is in specialized journals.  Just ask the assistance of a
reference librarian.

One author in England (who taught conservation) wrote a excellent book as an
introduction for archaeologists to conservation.  I believe his last name
was Organ, but I read it in the early 1970s and don't have a copy now.

Warm regards,
Wayne Neighbors
http://anthro.org