HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cassie Hemphill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:08:30 -0700
As always, with apologies for cross-posting

=================

The modern forest landscape in Kentucky's Appalachian Mountains
is the product of ancient human management practices.
Archaeological confirmation of this important lesson is the theme
of the video, Ancient Fires at Cliff Palace Pond, the latest
offering on The Archaeology Channel, our public-education
streaming-media website (www.archaeologychannel.org).  This
intriguing subject further demonstrates the relevance of
archaeology in today's world.

Ancient Fires documents how two sciences, archaeology and
paleoecology, came together in a research project that confirmed
archaeologist's ideas about the changing land use patterns of the
First Americans along the western edge of the Appalachian
Mountains.  Archaeologist Cecil Ison takes viewers to a
spectacular site on the Daniel Boone National Forest where soil
core studies show how Native Americans used fire to manage the
environment for over 3,000 years, in the process changing the
forest composition to the array of species we have today.  This
understanding of ancient practices links us to the people who
came before and will help guide forest management for the future.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and
enjoyment.  If you feel that this project is a worthy endeavor,
please participate in the Membership and Underwriting programs
described on our website at www.archaeologychannel.org.  Your
help will allow us to continue and enhance this nonprofit
public-education service.  We also welcome new content partners
as we reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. (Rick) Pettigrew
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute

Forwarded by: