HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 16:11:15 -0400
Barry,

We have similarly constructed hand dug wells in Kansas from the same period.
In some cases, the wells were blasted out of the limestone rock here and
then the larger blast holes were lined with chased stone and infilled behind
the walls. In one peculiar case there was a local man who widened the outlet
of a spring, dug a channel in the solid limestone, covered the channel with
chased limestone, reburied the channel, and then fed it into a blasted,
lined pit. Fort Scott in SE KS had both well and privies blasted out by
military enigneers in the 1840's. I'm pretty sure the NPS has the info on
that.

Local wells in floodplain or terrace complexes were dug by hand, shored with
wood, and then lined with limestone.

John Dendy
Archeologist
Fort Riley, KS