HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Glenn Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:37:08 +0100
I am an English archaeologist who is quite unfamiliar with the archaeology
of the 'New World' (apart from battlefield archaeology) who would like some
advice on native american sites in the South West. I am on holiday in the
area in May this year and would like to take in visits to a few sites but do
not want to simply follow the most obvious tourist haunts just because they
are the most visited sites - I know from my experience of European
archaeology how unrepresentative such 'honeypot' sites can sometimes be.
Could anyone suggest a few places I might consider visiting to get a good
broad impression of the character of native american life in the region over
the last thousand years? Also can anyone recommend a good museum where we
might get a good basic overview of native american cultures of the region -
we will be driving up from Phoenix to Flagstaff , across to Denver, then
back through Wyoming to Salt Lake City.

I realise the request is rather simplistic but would welcome some
suggestions.

######################################
Glenn Foard FSA
County Archaeological Officer